Thank you for your interest in the Institute of Chinese Studies, Delhi!
Why intern with ICS?
The Institute of Chinese Studies is a premier research institute in India pursuing high-quality scholarship on China and the East Asian region on the whole. Within the broad area studies framework, its faculty is engaged in diverse research areas including foreign policy, economy, labour, borderlands, public health, minorities, politics, history, society, leadership and so on.
The internship programme will not only help in gaining professional experience, but also equip one with research, data analysis, writing, editing, communication and organizational skills that are integral to the Institute’s work profile.
One of the objectives of the programme is to provide exposure and nurture interest in China and East Asia, which we hope can sustain a research intern’s interest enough to enable him/her to take up higher studies on East Asia.
- Preferably, applicants must have completed their Masters. However, we are open to accomodating students pursuing their Masters as well.
- Applicants must possess a keen interest in China and/or the East Asian region.
- Language proficiency in any of the related areas in the East Asian region would be an added advantage. Language students in their BA final year are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be interested in and demonstrate ability to take up research as well as organisational tasks.
- Social media and website management related skills would be of additional advantage.
Programme Duration and More Details
ICS accepts applications throughout the year. The internship duration ranges from 2 to 3 months.
Most research interns are paid a modest honorarium during the internship period.
ICS is committed to diversity and equal opportunities for all.
- Send in a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A writing sample of not more than 2000 words if available
- A one page (500 words) research statement/proposal
- Two letters of recommendation (of which one must be from a faculty member)
How to Apply
Mail your application with a short cover letter with the above documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify email subject as ‘Application for Internship’.
The cover letter (in the main text of the email) must provide a brief introduction to the applicant’s area(s) of interest, relevant experience and skills and also indicate the period of availability.
Before submitting your application, we would urge you to go through our website www.icsin.org and browse through our various programmes and publications to not only familiarize yourselves with our mission and work but also to be sure that ICS is where you want to spend an important part of your academic and professional life.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview (in person or telephonic).
Note: Following is a list of things ICS cannot provide:
- Support with travel or visa-related issues.
- Information on possible external sources of funding.
Srijana Karnatak is a Research Intern at Institute of Chinese Studies, Delhi. She has completed her MA in International Studies (2016-2018) from Christ (Deemed to be University), Bengaluru. Her MA dissertation was on ‘India’s Border Area Development Programme in the Eastern Front: A Critical Study’. She completed her BA (Programme) in Political Science and Economics (2012-2015) from Gargi College, University of Delhi. Previously she has worked as a Research Intern at Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses under the Non-Traditional Security Centre. Her research interests are territorial disputes between India and China, border studies and significance of non-traditional security in East Asia. She is currently working on a research project titled ‘Delimiting the Northern Frontiers of British India: A Study of Colonial India’s Border-making Project vis-à-vis China (1890-1947).View Full Bio
© 2019 ICS All rights reserved.
Powered by Matrix Nodes