Applications are invited from Indian citizens for a multi-year doctoral fellowship in China Studies sponsored jointly by the Institute of Chinese Studies, Delhi (ICS) and the Harvard-Yenching Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts (HYI). The Fellowship encompasses substantial support for developing Chinese language skills and pursuing research in India, China and at Harvard. The applicants will be registered in a PhD programme in an Indian university or in the process of applying to a PhD programme in the social sciences or humanities including anthropology, archaeology, cultural studies, economics, geography, history, international relations, language and literature, legal history, philosophy, political sciences, religion, and sociology, and would have adopted a specific China focus in their studies.
The Fellowship is subject to the following conditions:
- A selected candidate possessing Chinese language ability, and whose synopsis has been passed by the home university, will begin the first year of the Fellowship at a university in China beginning in the September following selection. This year will be devoted to developing additional language skills and fieldwork for the PhD thesis. The next year will be spent at HYI, for additional doctoral research and language studies. These two years of the fellowship will be offered by the HYI. The third and final year will be spent back in the home university in India to complete writing up the thesis and submit it within the stipulated time.
- The Fellowship offers all other selected candidates from one to a maximum of two years in the home university in India to get their PhD Synopsis passed and/or to develop Chinese language skills equivalent to the level of the One-Year Intensive course of Delhi University. All candidates will face a Chinese language test held by the ICS before proceeding to China. If the candidate cannot get his or her PhD Synopsis passed in the stipulated time or fails the language test, then the Fellowship will be discontinued till such time that the candidate meets both criteria and the Selection Committee determines that he or she is ready to go to China.
- In case a selected candidate is yet to begin the PhD programme and possesses no language skills, then Fellowship will be available to that candidate with effect from the date the ICS receives confirmation of the candidate's registration in the Ph.D programme and upto a period of two years following PhD registration in the home university in India. During this period the candidate will endeavour to pass both the language tests each year as well as have the PhD synopsis passed by the home university.
The Fellowship will normally begin from June of the year of selection and will be used for additional language skills development and research in India.
The selected candidate will have to sign a bond with the ICS, undertaking to spend the two years following submission of the PhD, in a teaching or research position in India that is of relevance to the development of China Studies.
The applicant will submit by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- CV with academic record, awards, contact details
- Academic transcripts from MA-level onwards (scanned copies)
- PhD research proposal submitted or being submitted to the university. If the synopsis has not been finalised, a 1,000 word proposal outlining the research focus
- Statement of purpose, detailing candidate’s interest in China and relevance of the PhD proposal for Chinese studies or India-China comparative studies
- Proof of relevant language capability, if applicable (scanned copies)
- Three signed references on official letterheads, at least two of which must be from academics/scholars in universities or research institutions.
Last date for receiving applications, including references: 10 February 2018
Announcement of candidates selected for interview: 22 February 2018
Interviews: mid-March 2018
Announcement of final list of selected candidates: 31 March 2018
For further enquiries, please contact email@example.com